In August 1901 three Scottish immigrants namely James Brown, James Baillie, and James Rodgers investigated the procurement of sand, turf, and equipment needed for the development of a bowling green. They drew up an open letter to the Westmount public advertising the proposed club and on September 6 at a public meeting a provisional committee was appointed to get the project off the ground. The first formal meeting at the Club took place on May 28, 1902 with the election of a Board of Directors who were empowered to arrange for a clubhouse to be built at a cost not exceeding $500. The opening ceremony of the club took place on Saturday June 28, 1902.
The club continued to grow and flourish with a membership increasing to 155 gentlemen by 1903. The Secretary William Brown, eldest son of James Brown the President wrote in his Annual Report for 1903 that,
The originators may take credit for having established in Westmount in the short period of two years , a Club which is a credit to the Town. A feeling of comradeship, of sportsmanship and of generous rivalry seems to pervade the whole membership.
Throughout the span of half a century Willie Brown made outstanding contributions to the spirit and operating methods of the club. An annual tournament and trophy is awarded in his name.